Our member survey consistently shows our 24-Hour Emergency Hotline is one of the services our members value most.
The hotline is available 24-hours in the event of a farm raid, surprise visit, inspection, or short-term notice regarding a member’s farm or related farm business. We always have an attorney on-call who can be on the phone during a stressful, unexpected farm inspection or even seizure of product.
In March, we fielded calls from all over the country regarding a number of farm and food business- related issues. We feel providing a synopsis of the kinds of issues we assist with on a regular basis can give our members an idea of the kinds of questions we regularly answer.
In the interest of keeping our members and supporters better informed, provide the following Monthly Hotline Blotter. While we will always protect the privacy of our members, we will provide a monthly summary of the type of legal challenges your fellow farmers, homesteaders, and cottage food producers are facing.
As one of our litigating attorneys Suzy Israel likes to say, “Prevention is the best cure” when it comes to dealing with local, state, and federal regulators. It’s better to take steps to prevent problems and stay in compliance with farm and food laws in your city, county, or state.
March 2023 FTCLDF Hotline Blotter
The following calls came into the FTCLDF Emergency Hotline
Member being threatened by the state Department of Health with federal charges for selling raw milk. Member initiated a herdshare program and herdshare agreements.
Member received a “Cease and Desist” letter from the Missouri State Milk Board. Member does have a herdshare program in place.
Member asked for support with public ordinance hearing that will affect livestock guardian dogs.
New member dealing with livestock guardian dog complaint. Neighbor is threatening to involve the sheriff and member needs help understanding rights and applicable local ordinances.
Besides calls to the FTCLDF Emergency Hotline in March, FTCLDF attorneys provided legal advice, guidance, and documents to assist with additional member legal concerns.
In March FTCLDF logged 302 calls and emails for non-emergency legal assistance and advice.
Besides calls to the FTCLDF Emergency Hotline, FTCLDF attorneys provided legal advice, guidance, and documents to assist with additional member legal concerns.
- 28 requests for dairy herdshare agreements and support in NC, OR, OH, IN, PA, MI, ND, TX, TN, MS, VA, LA, CT, KY
- 3 requests for legal advice about selling raw dairy in KY, TX, OK
- 6 requests for meatshare agreements and/or on-farm processing legal advice in MI, CT, FL, TX, OH, WI
- 3 requests for cottage food consults in TX, NH, MO
- 3 requests for food co-op/buying club consults in OH, KY, TX
- 4 requests for more information about livestock guardian dogs in NC, CA, OR, CO
- 5 requests for policy work in IA, FL, OK, CO
- Member needs assistance with Department of Livestock audit in KS
- Member needs assistance with Department of Health questions in MA
- Member needs assistance with farm pond regulators in TN
- Questions about how to deal with government wanting to test poultry in PA
- Questions about setting up a road side stand in TX
- Questions about animal control on property about livestock in NJ
- Questions about keeping chickens in MI
- Questions about poultry processing in RI
- Questions about beef and alligator processing in FL
- Questions about selling eggs in OH
- Questions about cheesemaking in IA
- Request for assistance with chemical overspray adjacent to an organic farm in PA
Please feel free to call our offices during business hours with your questions and concerns.
Members have 24/7 access to our Emergency Hotline located on our website under Member Resources, or in membership materials.
Remember, we’ve got your farmer’s back!
Nonmembers in Need of Legal Assistance
FTCLDF received 14 calls in March from nonmembers with potential legal issues asking for assistance. Join today and renew your membership annually!
Please feel free to call our offices during business hours with your questions and concerns. Members have 24/7 access to our Emergency Hotline! The hotline number can be found in Member Resources, on any of the membership materials, or by calling our regular office line during business hours. We’ve got your farmer’s back!