EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION
The Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund (FTCLDF), a growing, nationally recognized 501(c)(4) nonprofit, seeks an experienced executive to expand its legal defense, advocacy and other programs in support of America’s independent farmers and their customers. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing FTCLDF’s day-to-day work, including administration, programs, legal services, and strategic planning, and primary near-term goals of maintaining and growing a broad base of financial support and a legal network supporting member services nationwide. Candidates should have solid nonprofit management and fundraising experience, a strong legal background, and a passion for facilitating and defending the rights of farmers and consumers to produce, buy, and sell farm-fresh foods.
- Work closely with members of the board of directors to set and meet organizational goals; and
- Lead in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s ongoing mission.
- Work closely with the board and staff to ensure programs, services, strategic planning, and public outreach align at all times with FTCLDF’s mission;
- Maintain consistent and productive communication with the organization’s members and other financial supporters;
- Monitor federal and state policy developments and coordinate federal, state, and local policy and legal activities; and
- Hire and retain competent, qualified staff and contractors and oversee their work.
- Provide direct legal services to and conduct legal research for FTCLDF members and clients;
- Use broad understanding of the regulatory environment affecting independent farmers to provide input to litigator(s) pursuing member cases;
- Secure and supervise local counsel retained to assist FTCLDF contract attorneys; and
- Maintain and review time records, work summaries, invoices, and expense reimbursement requests for all contract attorneys and outside counsel.
- Work closely with development staff, members, and others to raise funds to support organizational goals and mission; and
- Engage in sound fiscal management practices.
Marketing and Communications
- Develop and implement communications and brand recognition strategies with a focus on increasing public awareness of FTCLDF’s work, mission, programs, and services;
- Serve as national advocate and spokesperson for FTCLDF, assuring the highest level of external communications/marketing to increase support for FTCLDF and its mission;
- Maintain regular and consistent communications with staff, membership, and donors on important legal and policy developments; and
- Leverage in-person appearances, mass outreach, social media, and conventional and new media coverage to drive FTCLDF’s mission and message.
This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of position responsibilities. The board may assign other tasks and duties where, when, and as it deems appropriate.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) from accredited law school and current U.S. state bar membership;
- Three to five years nonprofit management experience;
- Strong understanding of key federal, state, and local food issues, laws, and regulations;
- Solid, hands-on fundraising and budget-management skills;
- Strong written and oral communications skills;
- Willingness and capacity to interface and engage with diverse members and donors;
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff;
- Strong public speaking abilities; and
- Demonstrated ability to work in a distributed, virtual organization, and ability to work from home or other personally provided work environment.
- Experience in litigation and in transactional legal work;
- Experience managing and supervising attorneys; and
- Willingness to travel (as needed) and to speak at conferences, fundraisers, and other events.
Pay is commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Our benefits package includes health coverage allowance and paid time off. Position may be based anywhere in the United States.
Send resume and cover letter to EDSearchCommittee@farmtoconsumer.org by Friday, December 14, 2018.
Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.