1. When can I call The Fund?
Anytime. Call 1-703-208-FARM (3276). In order to keep membership
costs low, we do not have an 800 number.
Remember, you can call if you have an emergency need for legal
assistance ANYTIME, even after regular business hours. Our voicemail
will direct you to our after-hours answering service and you'll
be connected to the lawyer on call.
2. Are all legal costs covered?
After you join The Fund and your case is accepted, there are no
further charges of any kind for representing your case and/or defending
you in court. The Fund pays in full all attorney fees, expert witness
fees, court transcript costs, travel expenses, and all other court
costs permissible by state law for us to pay.
3. Are all cases accepted?
We want to focus our resources on our mission. So, once you report
a case, our lawyers will determine if it falls within the FTCLDF
4. What are some examples of cases covered under The Fund's
- Farmer rights to produce and sell nutrient dense foods without
excessive and costly burdens or governmental intrusion
- Farmer and consumer rights to participate in farm, herd or cow
- Farmer rights to refuse NAIS, limiting costly administrative
overhead resulting in increased cost to consumers
- Farmer rights to grow food protected from GMO hybridization
- Farmer rights to free trade
- Consumer rights to buy and transport raw milk
- Consumer rights to feed raw milk to children contested by state
agencies or medical authorities
5. What are some examples of cases that fall outside of
The Fund's mission?
- Farmer or consumer personal liability (i.e. somebody gets hurt
on your farm)
- Farmer or consumer domestic, bankruptcy, criminal, ethics, family,
health, labor, real estate, wills and estates or taxation cases
- Cases involving non-food livestock (i.e. pet breeding)
- Consumer claims against a farmer
6. Do you have a payment plan?
Yes. We have a membership payment
plan via monthly automatic deduction. It's an easy way to pay
the membership fee over time.
7. Is the membership fee tax deductible?
Your membership fee is not considered a tax deductible donation,
but it may be considered a business expense. Please consult your
tax advisor or accountant.
8. What resources do you have available?
Our FTCLDF website offers a growing resource section, offering
models of cow, herd or farm-share contracts, model articles of incorporation
and regulations for non-profits, up-to-date, state-by-state information
about current raw milk and NAIS laws, summaries of current and concluded
legal cases, guidelines for Raw Milk Handling and lobby and exhibit
9. I live in Canada, can I become a member?
Sorry, currently, The Fund's mission is to support farmers and
consumers in the United States of America. However, donations are
gratefully accepted from all continents!
10. Can I join The Fund if I'm not a farmer?
Yes, our membership is open to everyone. In fact, it's a great
way to support your farmer as well as protect and expand your own
access to local farm fresh foods.
The way we see it, farmers are trying to provide families with
the best possible foods, in the most sustainable and economic way.
Expensive court battles and administrative burdens can be heavy
yokes on farmer backs. We need to help lighten the load, and make
farming an attractive and lucrative profession again.
11. Can I buy a membership for my farmer, a friend or family
Yes, you may purchase gift memberships. Please be aware that the
recipient of your gift will need to complete a membership application
and complete the approval process.
12. How can I support FTCLDF's mission?
Pass the word! We like the old style "barn-raising" event. Together,
we can make a big difference in the lives and liberties of our farmers
13. Can I join if I already have legal problems?
Yes, you are welcome to apply. However, if you are in legal trouble,
we may not be able to accept your application. Your application
will need to be reviewed by the legal department. FTCLDF reserves
the right not to approve any membership application.
We also reserve the right to revoke membership if any information
has been misrepresented. If your application cannot be approved,
we will return your payment and send a letter of explanation.